We moved in and the upstairs toilet backed up from Day One. Even after plunging, it never worked.
We put in a maintenance request and forgot about it.
System ate the maintenance request so we put in another one.
Not having use of that bathroom was not okay and started to get frustrating.
Well, after several weeks the landlord said any toilet or drain clog issues were OUR responsibility and not theirs.
So I threw up my hands and remembered a friend told me that snaking a toilet isn't that hard and she learned using YouTube.
I made a trip to Walmart, bought a "toilet auger" thing for something like $15, watched a tutorial, and went to work.
Once you get the hang of using the thing, it's not that hard! The learning curve isn't steep or I'm just naturally good at it (probably the former, y'all.)
I snaked it, flushed, snaked again, flushed...and then flushed with toilet paper.
Nope. Still backed up.
I repeated the above process and got really frustrated.
So, I did what any millennial would do and turned to Google!
After ANOTHER repeat of the snake, flush, snake routine I added plunging into the mix. Then I snaked it again for good measure.
Cue the Hallelujah chorus here BECAUSE I FREAKING FIXED IT.
The moral of this story is: There's probably a YouTube tutorial for it and you're probably more handy than you think you are!